From The Fire Department
Released: 9/28/2012
Print   Close
 
As the days get shorter and nights get colder the fire department suggests some safety tips specific to the fall season.
 
A properly maintained furnace provides safe and reliable heat and comfort to our home. Proper maintenance includes ensuring a clean filter is in place on the furnace. This will help your furnace burn more efficiently, and will help keep dust from being circulated throughout your home. Keep the area around your furnace clean and unobstructed, as your furnace requires air for combustion. Have your furnace cleaned and checked every year by a qualified heating contractor. Never operate the furnace without the front-panel door properly in place. Do not have anything combustible such as paint thinners and gasoline near your furnace. Do not close off more than 20 percent of the registers in your house. This can cause high resistance and unnecessary heat build-up in the furnace. In addition, vacuum dust, lint and animal hair from all registers.
 
Another safety concern is Carbon Monoxide Poisoning. Carbon Monoxide or CO is a colorless, odorless gas produced by the combustion of fossil fuels. Properly installed and operating fuel-burning appliances pose minimal CO hazards. However, under certain conditions, all appliances that burn fuels can leak deadly levels of CO into the home. The initial symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to flu (but without the fever) and include headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea and dizziness. Exposure to high levels of CO can cause death. The Consumer Products Safety Commission recommends that the yearly professional inspection include checking chimneys, flues and vents for leakage, blockage by debris, and to make sure they are not loose or disconnected. Birds, other animals and insects can build nests in vents over spring and summer, resulting in blockages that cause deadly exhaust to enter the home. The inspector should also check appliance operation to ensure proper fuel input rate, gas pressure, and operating temperatures. The CPSC recommends that every home have a CO alarm in the hallway near bedrooms in each sleeping area.
 
Please feel free to call the fire department for any further information or recommendations.


Information provided by:
The City of Lyndhurst, Ohio @ www.lyndhurst-oh.com

on