RUBBISH COLLECTION REGULATIONS
All waste material will be collected on your regular collection day. However, it will not be collected from the premises unless it is separated and prepared in accordance with the following regulations.
The City Of Lyndhurst provides curb side collection to residential homes and condominiums. This service includes a weekly collection of household rubbish, yard waste and provides a weekly collection of recyclables.
"Rules and Regulations"
The City will provide weekly pickup service of BULK TRASH on your normal collection day. Here is a brief list of acceptable bulk items for pickup:
- YOU MUST PLACE your household trash on the curb in City approved containers. Approved containers are: City-owned and issued 96-gallon green-wheeled carts for garbage and 64-gallon blue-wheeled carts for recyclables. All homes will be issued rubbish and recycling containers by the City of Lyndhurst. All trash must be placed inside the City or approved trash container: if not, it will not be collected. Do not place rubbish into recycling containers. Recycling containers containing rubbish will not be collected. Additional containers can be purchased from the City if necessary.
- ALL OTHER CONTAINERS such as standard plastic, galvanized cans, kitchen cans, or laundry baskets are not acceptable and will not be emptied.
- PLEASE BAG ALL RUBBISH, secure the bag with a tie, and place in your 96-gallon trash containers.
- DO NOT PLACE your City containers on the curb prior to 5:00 p.m. the day before collection or later than 7:00 a.m. on the day of collection.
- HAVE YOUR CITY TRASH and recycle containers at least 3 feet apart, side by side along the curb so that the truck's mechanical arm can lift with ease to avoid obstructions. Other obstructions to avoid are fire hydrants, trees, telephone poles and signs.
- EMPTY CONTAINERS must be removed from the tree lawn the same day that collection is made. Failure to do so can result in a citation and fine. (Ord. 951.99)
- THE FOLLOWING MATERIALS will not be collected: earth, rocks, broken concrete or materials left by private contractors.
- TIRES are not accepted. Please call the Service Dept. (440) 473-5100 for disposal options.
- ALL ORGANIC WASTE (yard waste) including grass, hedge clippings and garden plants must be placed in paper yard waste bags not closer than 3 feet to rubbish and recycling carts. Yard waste bags are available at most retail outlets. Plastic bags and garbage cans filled with yard waste will not be accepted. All yard waste will be taken to a compost facility to be recycled.
- LEAVES must be placed in paper yard waste bags except in the fall of the year, when they should be placed on the treelawn for vacuum collection. It is illegal to place leaves in the street.
- SMALL TREE TRIMMINGS 4 foot and under must be bundled. Maximum bundle weight is 40 pounds.
- LARGE BRANCHES over 4 feet long (maximum 6 inch diameter) should be stacked neatly for chipping. Brush must be at least 4 feet from all rubbish and recycling containers as to not interfere with the mechanical arm on the collection trucks.
- DO NOT PLACE PAINT IN RUBBISH OR RECYCLING CONTAINERS. All waste paint must be dropped of at the Lyndhurst Service garage during working hours.
- EXPLOSIVES, poisons or any materials of any toxic nature should not be placed in rubbish or recycling containers. Hazardous Waste will be accepted seasonally during the weekend rubbish program. This program is available to Lyndhurst residents and is open on Saturdays and Sundays from 11:30am to 3:30pm mid April through mid November.
- HEAVY RAINS, Icy streets, snow storms and official holidays sometimes delay the collection schedule. Please refer to the web site www.Lyndhurst-oh.com/servicedepartment for the holiday collection schedule.
- LARGE CARDBOARD that will not fit in recycling bins must be collapsed, tied, bundled, no larger than 3' x 3' and placed next to the recycling container for collection.
Furniture, dressers, mattresses, couches, chairs, bookcases, house doors, storm doors, storm windows, bicycles, basketball hoops (dismantled), televisions, and appliances. Carpeting and fencing must be bundled/rolled, tied and no longer than 4 feet long and weigh no more than 40 pounds.
Please remember to keep all items at least 4 feet from all rubbish and recycling containers so as not to interfere with the mechanical arm on the collection trucks.
SPECIAL PICKUP LARGE VOLUME
The City will provide a special pickup for City residents. Special pickups consist of house, garage, and move-out cleanouts of household trash and bulk items. This will be limited to two special pickups per year, per home. Please pre-schedule your special pickup by calling the Service Department at (440) 473-5100.
The purpose of these regulations is to provide efficient service for our residents at the lowest cost. Practical reasons exist for the limitations listed. For example weight and size limits are imposed as a safety measure for our employees and also due to the size of the openings on our collection trucks.
A CLEAN CITY IS A BEAUTIFUL CITY. HELP KEEP LYNDHURST BEAUTIFUL. POST THIS IN YOUR GARAGE. PLEASE OBSERVE OUR RULES; THEY WILL BE ENFORCED. Failure to observe these rules is a Misdemeanor and subject to fines provided in C.O.951.99.
OUR AIM IS TO KEEP OUR CITY CLEAN, BEAUTIFUL AND A GOOD PLACE IN WHICH TO LIVE.
"COMMUNITY OF NEIGHBORS"
Joseph M. Cicero, Jr., Mayor
Frederick E. Glady, III, Service Director